QUESTIONS 1a
what is data base security

Database security concerns the use of a broad range of information security controls to protect databases (potentially including the data, the database applications or stores functions, the data base systems, the database server and the associated network links) against compromises of their confidentiality,integrity and availability.

4(i)
A mobile phone is a wireless handheld device that allows users to make and receive calls and to send text messages, among other features. The earliest generation of mobile phones could only make and receive calls. Today’s mobile phones, however, are packed with many additional features, such as web browsers, games, cameras, video players and even navigational systems.

4 (ii)
Electronic machine used to disperse a product to a people after a certain amount of money has been put into the machine. Vending machines are commonly used to disperse beverages and snack items, but in recent years companies have introduced vending machines that disperse other items, even including electronic items such as digital cameras or iPods.

4(iii)
Electronic device used to calculate financial transactions. Most cash registers consist of a keyboard that is used to input entries, a scanner of some sort, a drawer that is used to hold cash, and a printing device for receipts. With the advancement of technology, cash registers are able to do a wide variety of additional functions including credit card processing, personal check verification, and inventory tracking

4(iv)
A facsimile (fax) machine uses public switched telephone networks (PSTN) and the Internet for the electronic fax transmission of text and images.

Digital fax machines use modified Huffman and modified read data compression formats and scan 100-400 lines per inch (LPI).

Fax functionality is segmented by class, group, data transfer rate (DTR) and conformance with the International Telecommunication Union’s Standardization Sector (ITU-T).

Fax machines are also known as telefax machines, telecopy machines or telecopiers.

(4v)
A point of sale terminal (POS terminal) is an electronic device used to process card payments at retail locations.

A POS terminal generally does the following:

Reads the information off a customer’s credit or debit card.
Checks whether the funds in a customer’s bank account are sufficient.
Transfers the funds from the customer’s account to the seller’s account (or at least, accounts for the transfer with the credit card network).
Records the transaction and prints a receipt

NECO 2018 DATA PROCESSING SOLUTION

Data-Obj
1 D D C E B B E A A B

11 D D C C B E B D E C

21 D B D A A E C D E B

31 B A B B A E A E D E

41 D D C B A E D A C D

51 C C B D A A B A E E

1a)
Data processing security is an appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect data against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss or alteration, or unauthorized disclosure or access, or other unauthorized processing.
1b)
i)Blocking attacks from unauthorised users or hackers.
ii)Preventing malware infections and stopping viruses stealing data.
iii)Prevents data loss through corruption of files or programming errors.
1c)
i)Hierarchical data model.
ii)Relational model.
iii)Network model.
iv)Object-oriented data model.
1d)
Relational model- this is the most common model, the relational model sorts data into tables, also known as relations, each of which consists of columns and rows. Each column lists an attribute of the
entity in question, such as price, zip code, or birth date. Together, the attributes in a relation are called a domain. A particular attribute or
combination of attributes is chosen as a
primary key that can be referred to in other tables, when it’s called a foreign key.

4ai)
mobile phone is a portable telephone that can make and receive calls over a radio frequency link while the user is moving within a telephone service area.
4ii)
vending machine is a machine that dispenses small articles such as food, drinks, or cigarettes when a coin or token is inserted.
4aiii)
A cash register is a mechanical or electronic device for registering and
calculating transactions at a point of sale.
4aiv)
A fax machine is a device that is used to send documents electronically over a telephone network.
4av)
Point of sale machine is an electronic
device used to process card payments at retail locations.

5a)
i)Data modeling creates the structure your data will live in.
ii)It defines how things are labeled and organized
iii)Can facilitate interaction among the designers, the application programmer and the end user
iv)It promote data sharing
5aii)
standard data model or industry standard data model (ISDM) is a data model that is widely applied in some industry, and shared amongst competitors to some degree. In other words they are standards bodies, database vendors or operating system vendors. When in use, they enable easier and faster information sharing because heterogeneous organizations have a standard vocabulary and pre-negotiated semantics, format, and quality standards for exchanged data.
5b)
i)Corrective maintenance is done randomly while preventive is done frequently.
ii)Preventive maintenance will minize the need of corrective, while corrective will maximize the preventive actions.
===============================

6ai)
Napier’s bones is a manually-operated calculating device created by John Napier of Merchiston for calculation of products and quotients of numbers.
6aii)
The Jacquard machine is a device fitted to a power loom that simplifies the process of manufacturing textiles with such complex patterns as brocade, damask and matelassé. It was invented by Joseph Marie Jacquard in 1804.
6aiii)
i)Abacus
ii)Raymon Lull
iii)Prior Analytics
iv)Slide rule
6bi)
-uses of spreadsheets package-
i)create budgets
ii)To produce graphs and
charts
iii)For storing data
iv)For sorting data.
6bii)
i)It is used to display the name of the package
6bii)
It is used to display certain status information depending upon the package or device.
6biii)
It is used to identify each row in the worksheet.
6biv)
It is used for opening files, interacting with an application, or displaying help documentation or manuals